The dream of building a bright and spacious chapel for the spiritual well being of the students was envisaged when the Jesuit Fathers took over the management of Wah Yan College in the vicinity of Nelson Street. Before Ignatius Chapel was built, two of the classrooms on the 1/F of the school building were temporarily used for prayers and Mass for the students. During 1957-1960 when Father Herbert Dargan was Rector of the Community and Principal of the School, construction works of the Chapel were carried out and completed in 1959. On Nov 16 of the same year, Bishop Lawrence Bianchi of Hong Kong together with a good number of Jesuits officiated the solemn dedication of the new chapel.
耶穌會神父于1947年接管奶路臣街旁的華仁書院時，就夢想在學校建造一所寬敞明亮的大教堂來保證學生的宗教生活。在依納爵堂建造之前，華仁書院一樓的兩間教室暫作祈禱使用，每天為多名學生舉行彌撒。1957-1960年，梁德根神父 (Fr. Herbert Dargan, S.J.) 任耶穌會團體院長兼華仁校長期間，著手修建聖依納爵堂。1959 年大堂竣工，同年11月16日，白英奇主教 (Rev. Lawrence Bianchi) 在眾多耶穌會士的陪同下，舉行了隆重的新堂奉獻禮。